Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Going green

I have bought my ticket to Australia! And I am very excited, I have roughly 10 days in Australia in March. Carmen said I will definitely get to feed the kangaroos and hold the koalas. All that good ole touristy stuff. I am so excited. Plus she's getting married the day before I leave, so that will be a lot of fun too. And all the guys will be there, which is always entertaining.

This weekend Dan and I went down to the columns. I didn't get out of the car. I hate it that I'm embarrassed that I'm weak. I need to get back into shape. I miss climbing so so much. I can't believe how much I love it. I feel like it's really mine ya know? I'm not doing it for anyone else, and yet I feel self-conscious when I suck. I think it's because rock climbers as a whole are damn judgmental. There are a lot of nice climbers out there, but a lot of incredibly snooty ones as well. Which isn't any different than in paragliding, which are the people I'm used to dealing with even though I don't fly.

It just sucks because in reading the rock climbing magazines I am both inspired and disheartened. People who get hurt and then have to climb with people "below them" are upset that the people they're with aren't climbing to a high level. An article also talked about how climbing is more than just about having fun and that the young climbers of today need to realize that. Funny huh? God forbid we have fun climbing. And just because you're 30 or 40 and climbing is/has become something different to you besides just having fun, does not mean that it's that way for everyone.

Oh well. People will always get up in arms about whatever they're going to get up in arms about. Although, it is slightly entertaining that Michael Reardon wants people to take more risks in climbing (which was definitely his style) and in paragliding the emphasis is on being safe. Hm. Just strikes me as interesting.

On another note. I am going to be healthier. I am determined to be healthier. I am going to go running today. I'm also going to stop drinking soda, (although I don't drink that much to begin with) and stop eating fast food (bleh, I hate it anyways, I don't know why I eat so much of it). I've also started recycling. Now all I have to do is cut down on the amount of TV I watch. My goodness.

No comments: