Friday, November 2, 2007

I am studying for my last midterm. I've gotten close to enough sleep this week, but I've spent so much time studying, doing homework/papers, or thinking about them, that I am exhausted. In 1 hour my last midterm will be done and I have roughly a week of nothing (besides reading and some minor assignments).

Taking 18 credits has drained me. I'm just glad I have Dan, and that 2 of my classes are inspirational as opposed to draining (TA's math 211 and Feminist Philosophy, I suppose Spanish isn't too draining sometimes).

Last night I went to see Gace Lee Boggs. A 92 year old woman who sat in front of an entire audience and spoke to us about her experiences and insights. It was really amazing. It was difficult to hear her much of the time, but it was still amazing. As with most speeches, the Q & A at the end is the best part. Because then the words just flowed out of her naturally and I got so much out of it. One of the things that spoke directly to me was that too many times we're eager to criticize the government and our representatives, and it's not that we should ask a lot of them and critique them; but a more constructive subject would be to talk about the ways in which we can empower ourselves and be empowered to change things. We should be active citizens.

It was a really amazing experience, just like seeing Angela Davis last year. I am provided with so many opportunities, I feel so blessed.

And it was refreshing, even though I'm exhausted. It's just refreshing to sit back and experience compassion through words and the sharing of positive ideas. And to see such a wide range of people come together to learn from someone with so much experience.

No comments: